Chatsworth aka Pride and Predjudice

7:13:00 AM Out And About Global 2 Comments

Chatsworth is the Pride and Prejudice setting for the Keira Knightley version. To say I hate this movie is a gross understatement. I was so excited when I saw the previews, it looked so promising...the scenery, Matthew Macfadyen's steely eyes, two would be lovers caught in a rain storm.  Blah! The movie was horrible! I actually took my daughter out of school to see it the day it came out. I drove home in a blasted blizzard for pete's sake and all for an incredibly disappointing attempt at feeding the masses Jane Austin's best love story. 

I can't find fault with the house however, it is fantastic. Situated on a gorgeous plot of land it has forests, gardens and views to please anyone. The house itself is a museum with 500 years of mementos on display. 
The house was under renovation when we visited so I had to be strategic in taking photos and I wasn't able to get a shot of the back with it's fountain as there was a massive green crane in the way.

The estate has a farmyard and playground for the younger set, a gift shop, a cafe and further up the road is a restaurant which we ate at and farmers market where you can buy groceries to make a delicious picnic. If you book online you will save on parking and don't have to queue for tickets.

2 comments:

  1. The whole place looks gorgeous! So green and nice and then the beautiful building popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! The estate is fabulous, but I have to agree on this version of Pride and Prejudice as it was not my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete